Watch: Sinkhole forms at bottom of pool, pulls man into it; house owners held | World News

Watch: Sinkhole forms at bottom of pool, pulls man into it; house owners held | World News
Advertisement
Advertisement

The accident happened during a private party reportedly hosted by a man and woman in their sixties, at their house near Tel Aviv. The couple was arrested by the Israeli police for negligence.

In an unprecedented turn of events, a man was reported to have died after being sucked into a sinkhole that formed at the bottom of a swimming pool at a villa near Tel Aviv, Israel. Police said they placed a couple – in their sixties – under house arrest after they were found guilty of causing ‘death by negligence’. They were arrested on Thursday night and a court decided to release them Friday under “restrictive conditions of house arrest” for five days.

The incident was reported at a private party the couple hosted at their house in the town of Karmi Yosef, about 40 kilometers away from Tel Aviv.

A video from the party captured the moment when floaties and water were suddenly sucked to the bottom, at the center of the pool. People sitting by the poolside started shouting in Hebrew as they alerted people in the pool, seeing someone getting pulled into the sinkhole.

A man was seen approaching the sinkhole, trying to rescue the person who slipped but he backed away as he was almost pulled in too.

Watch:

The police said the deceased 30-year-old was found following a search mission in which Israeli police, emergency crews and the army took part. There were six people in the pool at the time of the incident.

Israeli media cited witnesses as saying the party was attended by nearly 50 people, of whom six were in the pool, and also reported that the homeowner had built the pool without proper licensing.

(With inputs from AP)



Close Story

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads



  • Macron also urged the liberation of four French citizens that he said were "held arbitrarily" in Iran.

    ‘Disappointed at lack of progress over nuclear talks,’ France tells Iran: Report

    French President Emmanuel Macron expressed his disappointment to his Iranian counterpart Ebrahim Raisi at the lack of progress over talks on the 2015 nuclear agreement, the Elysee Palace said in a statement on Saturday. In June, Iran began removing essentially all the agency’s monitoring equipment, installed under its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers. Macron also urged the liberation of four French citizens that he said were “held arbitrarily” in Iran.


  • In this photo provided by the Odesa City Hall Press Office, firefighters put out a fire in a port after a Russian missiles attack in Odesa, Ukraine earlier in June. 

    Russian missiles hit Ukraine port; Kyiv says it is still preparing grain exports

    Russian missiles hit Ukraine’s southern port of Odesa on Saturday, the Ukrainian military said, threatening a deal signed just a day earlier to unblock grain exports from Black Sea ports and ease global food shortages caused by the war. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said the strike showed Moscow could not be trusted to implement the deal. Neither a Russian defence ministry statement nor the military’s evening summary on Saturday mentioned any missile strike in Odesa.


  • Top of a swab specimen containing Monkeypox virus is labeled "Bio Alert at the UW Medicine Virology Laboratory in Seattle, Washington, US. 

    ‘There may be more new cases,’ say experts on monkeypox outbreak in US: Report

    The United States may see more cases of monkeypox before the numbers go down, Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Rochelle Walensky said on Friday. READ Explained: Monkeypox declared ‘public health emergency’ by WHO – What this means The CDC currently does not have specific projections on how serious the situation may be, Walensky added. “I do not think that we have a stable estimate now,” the director said.


  • Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (AP)

    Monkeypox declared global emergency | ‘Outbreak has spread rapidly,’ says WHO

    The World Health Organization declared the growing monkeypox outbreak as a global health emergency on Sunday, with the agency’s director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus describing it as an extraordinary situation considering the way the virus has expanded to over 75 countries. The alert, however, does not necessarily mean a disease is particularly transmissible or lethal. Ghebreyesus said the risk of monkeypox was moderate globally, except in Europe, where the WHO has deemed the risk as high.


  • The Chinese national flag is seen in Beijing, China. (File Photo)



Source